Thursday, March 11, 2010

You have to laugh, or else.....

Things sometimes get interesting around our house. Especially when it comes to T.'s memory problems. I'd like to share some things that have brought me to the edge of patience - until I take a look from a different angle. Then I may laugh about it.

There's something called Perseverating -which is when you keep dwelling on one thing. You talk about it over and over. It could be as innocent at the next NASCAR race scheduled or as complicated as the directions from our house to Wal-Mart. You just keep repeating such things until they are settled in your mind. Or until you pick up on the verbal edge in your listener's responses. Regardless of the event - we eventually wind up on the proper television channel or else in the parking lot at Wally World.

Hoarding.
Apparently we are short of canned cold drinks in the whole world and can't allow them to be out in plain view in the kitchen floor. We tend to shove them in a line against the hutch and cover them over with a layer of plastic bags.
Out of sight, out of mind? Maybe.
Unwilling to share? Maybe.

Whatever the reason, we have wound up with 6 cases of Sam's Club soda hiding in plain sight and 3 packs of frozen pancakes (72 total) shoved into the freezer. I need to cross stuff off T.'s list when I know we absolutely don't require more.

Losing things.
We have missed the following items and searched for them for extended periods of time.
Mobile Phone #1.
Mobile Phone #2 that replaced #1.
AAA Batteries
The hood release location on the Buick
The door to the side yard.
Laundry detergent.
All items were subsequently found; some requiring repairs. (the hood release quit working after being jerked upwards several times. The auto repair fixed it for us)
The latest item that went missing last weekend was a white dustpan. T. couldn't recall where he put it last and searched the kitchen cabinets, the bedroom, the utility room and under the parrot cage. He did mention that he might have taken it across to the barn and left it there. I showed him a red dustpan that clips onto a red-handled broom and stays in the kitchen. The red pan wasn't what he wanted. It was the white one, the one he always uses.
Yesterday, Elder Daughter had come over to use my computer and I got a text message from her. T. had found the white pan. He brought it over from the barn and hung it up in the family room. On a nail. Which he had banged into the mantle of the fireplace. When I came home that evening, the first sight to greet me was a white dustpan hanging beside the entry door - swinging from the mantle. T. took it down - not without my strong urging.
We will dedicate a prong from the over-the-back-door coat rack to hanging the white dustpan. You can hardly see the nail hole in the mantle.

3 comments:

RANGER said...

We have two remote controls for the living room television. This has prevented arguements more than once. Today, mine was hidden. J and I both looked all over the living room. It was finally located on the other end of the couch from where it usually resides.

Evidently, that made it invisible.

RANGER said...

I meant arguments. That extra "e" must have sneaked in, uh...sneakily.

Zeta said...

Things I've lost and found.
1. Debit Card, yesterday, never found. I really miss my debit card, but the new on is on its way.
2. Green ear rings. Already replaced.
3. Last month’s FPL bill. Already paid.
4. Pink steno paper. I’m not sure why two packages are missing.
5. Gym bag. This was found inside another suit case.
6. Key for my bike lock. Still looking.
7. My vehicle key for the Ranger.
8. My office white out is missing.