Tuesday, June 8, 2010

The Girl Who Kicked.....

I finished the Stieg Larrson book, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest a couple of days ago.  I have been digesting the story ever since and have decided that it was as well written as the first two and a fitting ending to the trilogy.  It has to be because - unless Larrson's girlfriend has some trick up her sleeve to overcome the family threats of lawsuits, there will probably not be a fourth in the saga. 

I saw a review on Sunday in which the writer didn't like the third book.  She must not recall how book two ended with Lisbeth lying wounded and Blomkvist tending to her injuries while calling for help to come.  This book picked up more or less in the same spot.  Or very near.  You need to bring the other two novels to mind while reading this one but things are explained and flow along quite nicely.  Salander is as sullenly resourceful as ever.  I found myself cheering for her in one scene that was set in an abandoned property, towards the end of the book.  I was sorry to see it end - and if there ever is another book in the offing, you can see which direction it might take from the ending of the Hornet's Nest. 

I recommend this book!  It was worth the wait for publication.

-- Ol-Doc-dot-Blogspot, special to the Blogosphere.

And another review.....

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest" is a rewarding entertainment, and a satisfying solution to the mysteries that surround Lisbeth Salander. But the enchantment of the Millennium Trilogy is not what Salander suffers, but how she triumphs.


-- Katherine Dunn, special to The Oregonian

3 comments:

RANGER said...

Right now, our library owns 16 copies and there are 293 holds of which I am number 165. It'll be a while until my name pops up. I forgot to go and put my name on the list so I guess you could say I'm getting what I deserve.

I blame it on the two week wait for the new system to get up and running. Of course, all those other folks remembered. Guess that excuse has *fail* written all over it.

I am glad to have your endorsement. It makes the anticipation that much more keen.

RANGER said...

I realize now that I have the most generous sister ever. Thank you for sending my own personal copy of this book. I was not asking for it; I really wasn't. However, I rejoice to have it, and thank you so much!

ol Doc said...

:) It was painless. Amazon did all the work and I saved a ton of greenbacks over what it costs in a store. I love Amazon.