Sunday, October 3, 2010

Just a game?

Football season is upon us.  It is also along-side us, overhead, under foot and blocking the way to the ladies room at work.  You cannot get away from it.  Fans on all sides discussing their team - either the real one or the fantasy one, filling in statistics and reliving the weekend slaughter or gigantic win, depending on which team one favors.  I work with a bunch of Gator fans.  We won't be mentioning the name Alabama or the words Crimson,  Roll or Tide in the same sentence on Monday.  They know I root for the U of M when they play.  Few know I'm a Tide fan.  Gotta be!  Mom being raised around Lanette and that area in 'Bama - right across the border from La Grange in Georgia.  She took me to a game when I was younger.  In the old Orange Bowl.  On a cold night.  The stands were filled with red clad visitors  and rumbled with the chant, Roll Tide - accompanied by the arm roll.  I get chills just recalling the awesome feeling. 

Sorry, guys but when you're moaning about the loss of game on Monday... I will be smiling inside.  Oh, yes.

3 comments:

RANGER said...

I remember Mom and Sue Jett talking about the Crimson Tide. Don't remember the game, though. Just the splinters from those old wooden bleachers.

Zeta said...

You mean its not all about the "U"?

ol Doc said...

Sometimes it's about the Tide. The Records supervisor wore a crimson blouse and I loaned her my Tide stain removing pen. She asked the Lt. and the Captain both, if they needed to use the Tide to remove any stains...she had a very good time of it, rubbing the loss in. Hey, it's just a game, guys! Heh.