Monday, November 15, 2010

Tis the Season, almost!

This time last year I had been looking at all the websites, like Woot.com and eBay - hoping to save a bit of the long green on my Christmas shopping.  This year the Black Friday ads have been popping up in my phone for a month, at least!  There are some good deals, if you're in the market for televisions and other electronics.  I'm not in that market and I'm hoping nobody else in the immediate gift giving range is, either.  With the economy in such bad shape, I've got a feeling the retail stores aren't going to have such a banner year as they hope. 

I want coupons and sales that cut prices to the bare bones. 

I can't shop though, until I take myself into the bank and renew that little piece of plastic we use at the ATM and most other points of sale.  When did cool cash disappear?  I haven't seen the inside of my checkbook in such a long time.  Groceries?  Swipe that card.  Clothing and shoes?  Swipe, swipe.  If I don't take a minute to see my banker, the likelihood is that we'll be spending Thanksgiving day with our daughter in Alabama and using the checkbook exclusively to pay our way. 

We have plans to do the Black Friday Shopping while we're out there.  We will be using some of our traditional family moves.  You know, wake up and squint at the clock.  Say in a disbelieving voice, "Are we really  going shopping at this time of the morning?"  Wait for the voice of reason to say, "Of course not, Mama, go back to sleep."

 And the voice of  reason will have taken the morning off!  My sweet daughter in Alabama will insist that I rouse myself and hurriedly dress so we can get to the sale before all the good stuff is gone.  Which I will do, with mutterings and gnashing of  teeth.  Possibly there will be bumping of knees, in  the dark. 

Returning home to her apartment, shopping completed - I'm sure we will feel virtuous and pleased with the savings we have amassed.  I'm sure as well that I will  forget that I have driven 300-plus miles to stand in the cold and dark with a couple of hundred fellow bargain hunters.  At that point in time, however - my idea of a swell Christmas  gift will probably be a couple of Tylenol and an hour off my feet.  I really need to update my card.  Tomorrow.

2 comments:

RANGER said...

Just think of the savings if you don't renew. Of course, you may have to hide out til New Year's...

Zeta said...

You’re lucky to have had the options to shop or sleep. Shopping of course; always wins.