Thursday, September 17, 2009

We're Family AND an Update

I got an email addressed to a huge bunch of folks from a cousin I haven't seen in years and years. Her mother was a favorite aunt and they lived in our hometown. We visited them as children, playing in their yard at dusk and catching fireflies in the twilight. They lived on an acre and that was such an enormous yard when we'd visit. We often went fishing with them along the canal which runs beside The Trail out into the Everglades. I have a memory picture of her older brother fishing with a cane pole. He pulled in a fish from the dark canal waters and it flipped right over his head and landed on the roadway. His father called to him to get the fish off the road. He didn't have the chance to act because a car went by and ran over the poor fish as it lay stunned on the asphalt. Do you know a fish makes a popping sound when it's run over? Neither did I.

Her dad hunted every chance he got and I recall platters of quail cooked and served by our aunt after a successful hunting weekend. When her brother got his first deer, they brought it to our house to dress it out. I guess we had more room at the time. I can see their warm and welcoming house and feel the love we shared, growing up in a simpler time - before rockets to the moon and rap music videos.

The cousin married, had a family of her own and and eventually moved to Virginia. She's now a grandmother and she has a seven and a half month old grandson who has to have minor surgery. He has a pulmonary stenosis issue, as his grandmother put it and so, she asked for prayer on his behalf. Of course we will pray for little Fletch and ask others to do the same. He's a cousin I've never seen, but part of our scattered family and I know his "Namaw" would do the same for any of us in all our generations.

UPDATE TO POST: Just got an email from a friend to let everyone know the baby is out of surgery and doing great. He is expected to go home at 6PM. Praise The Lord!

3 comments:

RANGER said...

I got the email also and did comply with the request.

Remember shooting a pellet gun at ripe guavas in the grass, at their house? I was a deadly shot. No guava was safe.

ol Doc said...

No. I never did target practice their, only at Uncle Bob's.

I do recall L. and his next door neighbor taping a small frog to a cardboard square and tossing it back and forth. If they tossed it with lots of spin on the throw, the frog would pop open. Come to think of it, L. seemed to make lots of fauna go "POP"!

ol Doc said...

at their house.