Saturday, November 14, 2009

Gobble Hobble

It's almost Thanksgiving - meaning it's almost time to count our blessings and then gird ourselves for Black Friday! Each year, I swear I'm not getting caught up in the hassle and rush of going Christmas shopping before the sun comes up. Each year, I find myself in a line somewhere. Most of the time, it's the one in front of Wal-Mart. Last year, Younger Daughter was home for the holiday and we went to Wally World and made our purchases and got home in time for a late breakfast. We were delighted with the savings. The year before, T and I went to Home Depot and got one of those folding Gorilla ladders. It was cold that year and we arrived at 6:00AM for the 7 O'clock opening. We were the only fools in the parking lot. We about froze to death outside the store before one of the sales associates took pity on us and allowed us to enter the part of the store where the baskets are stored. We couldn't go inside the lighted and warm area but at least we were out of the wind. I still think of that woman with gratitude.

This year, I have been getting the Black Friday ads by email, meaning I must have signed up for the service some time last year. It has been kind of nice to receive notice of the upcoming offerings from places like Toys R Us, Wal-Mart, Target and Ace Hardware. I can pre-decide where I want to position myself and what time I should get there to take advantage of the sales. I may shop just Radio Shack and Ace Hardware this year. Hopefully the lines won't be as long or the customers as excitable at either of those shops. And I can knock another one or two items off my Christmas list.

Ace had a good deal on wooden stacking tray tables. I have none. If I can convince myself I really need some, I can be in the parking lot by 7:30AM. I'm sure of it! I wonder if T would go with me.... maybe if I offer to treat him to breakfast afterwards.

3 comments:

Zeta said...

I'm pretty sure he will go if you offer breakfast. I'll be working on black Friday, hum I've never had the day off come to think of it. Wonder if I can put the patients on hold until I shop. Maybe I should worry more if I can even get up in the morning. Thats my first real point of trouble besides my hours at my job. I'll wake up at 10 AM, oh oh. Didn't hear the alarm.

ol Doc said...

LOL! I told him we were going and he said okay - but why are you telling me so early? (it's so he can't say I never mentioned shopping and sleep in while I go by myself!)

RANGER said...

I have never done it, either and I don't have the excuse of having to work. What's wrong with me?