Friday, July 16, 2010

Meet me in the middle...

When we lived in the Subtropics, my sister and I were in houses situated close enough together for us to meet in the middle of the street to borrow a cup of sugar or a stick of margerine from each other.  After T. was diagnosed with Guillain Barre, the doctor recommended we move from big town to a smaller area so he could live a quieter lifestyle.  It was probably the hardest thing we had to do; move away from friends and family and all the dear things in our hometown.  The places we shopped changed from big box stores to a single small-box and a miniature shopping center took the place of our major malls.  Before we moved away, we thought nothing of hitting a couple of good sized malls on a shopping spree.   Once we settled down in our new home, we took stock of how much change we had undergone.  We went from living on  a city lot to being in the middle of 3 acres, with another 12 acres across the road.  Lots of grass to mow.  Lots of trees around us that dropped pollen and then pecans in season.  You couldn't hear your nearest neighbor and it got so dark at nights that we wouldn't step off the front porch for a long time.  For one thing, you couldn't see that well and for another - what if a snake came by?  Country living meant longer distances to  go  for the mail and a longer drive just to buy staples. 

I think the biggest change for me, though - was moving a state's length from my best friend and dearest confidant.  My sister. 

Over the years, we've kind of gotten used to driving the 12 miles it takes just to get to the road that goes to the grocery store.  And the yard light now seems sufficiently bright at night to hazard a step into the grass to set up the telescope for some stargazing.  There are a lot more stars visible away from bright city lights. 

Oh, but I do miss my own Elder Sister.  We're as close at heart as when we were living just down the street from each  other.  I still share secrets with her and she with me.  And the telephone company keeps us in touch when we just have to hear each other's voices.  So, I will call tomorrow to wish her a Happy Birthday and give her our love on her special day.  We'll have a good talk but - you know, there is a little piece of me that still looks at houses with ForSale signs out front and the thought crosses my mind how close it would be to where we live now. 

Love you, Sis - have a Grand Birthday!

1 comment:

RANGER said...

I miss you, too. You took a great deal of love with you when you left. Even my other kitchen moved upstate with you. This is the sweetest thing you could have done to make me grin from ear to ear. Thank you!!!!