Sunday, July 18, 2010

Social networking is hard work!!

Lots of the family is on Facebook and I saw a nephew in Houston who posted that he asked his wife what she wanted to do for the weekend.   She said she wanted to go see the Corpse Flower at the Houston Museum of Natural Science.  He asked her, "Huh?"  That was my comment, too -  except that I Googled Corpse Flower. I came up with news about the museum exhibit and all the excitement over this giant stinky flower from the rain forest and how crowds have been visiting the museum pretty much around the clock to see it whenever it opens.  Or maybe to smell it.  Sounds like fun, if you enjoy smelling rotten stuff

There was a link.  Naturally I tried it.  I checked back periodically.  Finally I gave up and just sat at the monitor watching the people pass through the line in Houston and waited for Lois to bloom. 

Lois.  They have named her.  You can buy buttons online that tout Lois. I didn't buy a button but I did keep the page open until 2:30AM at which time I came to my senses and went to bed.  This morning Susan was online telling me she thought Lois looked like she had changed.  Yes, I got her hooked  as well. 

Half the fun is waiting for Lois to unwrap her huge petals.  The other half of the fun is reading the Tweets posted by visitors and people who work at the museum.  One of the tweets may have been from someone called Ol Doc who lives somewhere in Florida.

5 comments:

Zeta said...

Just my luck. Lois's video was not working when I clicked on the link. Other folks posted they could not see Lois either. So........I will check back in to Lois later. :) Hopefully, she will be back soon.

RANGER said...

I couldn't see Lois either. Should we send her some Right Guard? I will try to Google her. And thanks for the suggestion . . .

Zeta said...

Yes, I saw Lois. She was sleeping, but very cute. A favorite amoung her visitors.

ol Doc said...

Lois fell over and her spathe drooped down - followed by the purple petals of her bloom a few hours later. She got her job done and was spectacular while she lasted. Next she'll rest and then enter a vegetative state, putting up a single leaf blade which will turn into leaflets at the top. She will rest again, then begin again, either putting up another leaf blade or else a flower.
Suse & I checked her all week whenever we could. As Spok said, Fascinating!

ol Doc said...

Spock. SPOCK!!