Sunday, March 13, 2011

How many does it take....

I am fascinated by the technology that allows us to track earthquakes and have found a site that also shows mapping so you can tell where they happened, how long ago and the magnitude of each event.    I'm beginning to suspect that earthquakes happen much more frequently than we (and even some of the experts) realize.  The past few days, when I have checked the website, the majority of quake events has been near the coast of Honshu, Japan.  There were one or two in other locations - but aftershocks are still rocking the area off Japan and some of them are quite large.  Once you click on the link and look at the page, rreload the map page to see any new quakes that have occurred.  I reloaded one time since I copied the link and found a new tremor that just happened.  It is a good thing to pray for the people of Japan.

I'm thinking that, if I lived in California and was keeping up with the tragedy in Japan, I'd be making plans to move right about now.  Haven't we all been expecting "The Big One" to hit along the left edge of the country and kind of drop it into the ocean?  People make jokes about it but I halfway really think it's time to buy land in Arizona, if you want to own oceanfront.  That is not a joke.  Look at all the tremors recorded for California.  And Arkansas has a large number of shaking events.  There was an earthquake off the coast of Alabama the other week - near Mobile Bay.  Younger daughter called and said she didn't feel it where she was but there were people on the coast who did wonder why their pictures were dancing around. 

Um, too close for my liking!

4 comments:

Zeta said...

Wow, I peeked! Japan had a small quake 1:08 PM today! Red. I just clicked on the red square and there is was. I even went back twice to make sure I read it correctly. This is neat site.

ol Doc said...

Thanks. It has a lot of s nice links where you can find out lots about quakes. Shake maps... places to report if you felt a quake - altho I must say, I doubt I'd have my laptop with me while running flat-out if I did feel an unexplained tremor.....

RANGER said...

Geez Louise, there was another one today (Thurs), a 4.7, off Honshu.

I remember once looking at my glass of water on the table and having the surface of the water shimmy, briefly. Next day, the Herald said a small quake was recorded in FL. Close as I ever want to come.

ol Doc said...

I'd much rather know it was a tiny Quake making my water dance - what if it was a T-Rex doing that stomp to make the water shiver.

Urk, what's that in the outside mirror......