Thursday, October 8, 2009

Water Where???

I plan to be somewhere in the morning where I can watch the NASA Channel. There are a couple of space vehicles speeding toward the south pole of the moon and one will crash into a selected crater in the polar region - while the other of the rocket duo will film what happens. Scientists are expecting a visible plume of matter to rise out of the crater and be visible against the sunlight. The mother ship that is filming the plume will then fly through the debris and analyse the substances. Then that rocket will crash into the crater. The event will be covered by NASA TV and I hope to be there on the couch watching with mouth open and eyes big and round as this attempt to locate water on the moon takes place.

The event should be visible to ten inch telescopes in North America. I just think it's too chilly to sit outside on a lawn chair trying to hone in on the southern edge of the moon in hopes of spotting the debris rise. No, I can see myself in the warm living room, coffee in hand while watching this space epic play out. Just think, if there really is water to be had on the lunar surface, some day a grandchild or great grandchild could be sitting on the moon enjoying his or her own cup of coffee. Isn't that what it's all about?

2 comments:

RANGER said...

Oh, my. We have officially attacked another celestial body in our universe. And in the name of science, I ask you . . .

ol-Doc said...

Well, since the American Flag flies on the orb - we may have really officially attacked our'n own selves.