Saturday, January 16, 2010

Another Holiday?

Wow, we just had Christmas and New Year - plus some birthdays in the family and it's time for another 3 day weekend. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s birthday is a new county holiday so I'm off for the weekend plus the Monday. I can hardly stand staying home another three days, given my bout with a horrible cold that lasted from last Tuesday until this morning. It had me on the couch with tissue and juice, hacking until I thought I'd cough up a lung. I'm still coughing like crazy but my sinus cavity is no longer dumping sludge down the back of my throat and causing soreness with every swallow. I would normally have appreciated the time off in a planned vacation. Spending the enforced idleness in a haze of misery was about enough to cause a permanent state of cross-eyed boredom.

I did find a Starz Channel preview for the weekend. Last night, I was able to catch up on a couple of movies. I hadn't seen the latest versions of either "Race to Witch Mountain" or "Mall Cop". I enjoyed Witch Mountain enough to watch it twice. Mall Cop, not so much. I also finished 2 paperback books during the week and am nearly done with Amy Tan's Teaching Fish to Dance. It is a departure from her usual story telling in that the main character is - well, dead - not to put too fine a point on it. But the story is so well told that I am enjoying the book. Today I'm up and dressed and planning to stay off the couch as long as possible. Unless the urge for a nap absolutely overtakes me. That's possible on a cool and rainy day.

9 comments:

RANGER said...

I should have telephoned when your presence on the web became intermittent. Then again, sometimes I just don't feel like doing anything on the 'net, either.

Hard to tell, innit? (to borrow a phrase from you) I am sorry you and the couch got to be so close and hope the cough subsides. I wish I could walk down and slip some Halls on your front porch.

Hot tea sans milk? Just lemon and Splenda or whatever ya use? But hot!

Pobrecita for real.

Susan said...

SO glad you are feeling better! Michael is still asking if Grandma is still sick. I will update him on the excellent news. <3

Zeta said...

Oh my. We are all glad to hear you are feeling better. Your are right, eventually you do get tired of the couch, then the bed, then the couch, then the bed, then the floor when you are sick. Tissues in tow.

ol Doc said...

Ohhh, no - I don't do floors any more! Literally! Not since the night we bought our present home and all slept on the rug before we headed back to SoFla. I woke up stiff and decided then and there that floor sleeping wasn't an option for me. Air mattress for sale anyone?

RANGER said...

Remember when you were on an air mattress that our cat punctured in the night? That was an awful thing to do to our guest.

Zeta said...

LOL, ops sorry. Which cat?

RANGER said...

Mace did it. It was like pulling teeth to get Aunt 01 Doc to tell on the cat.

Zeta said...

Oh, I thought it was Tie Wisker.

ol Doc said...

I recall waking up sunken down and not knowing what had happened. Until I saw Mace walk over the mattress. Then the penmy dropped. Of course, I couldn't tell on her!