Thursday, August 26, 2010

To Be or Not To Be...that is the nagging question

Elder Daughter lives behind us, maybe 200 feet as the crow flies.  Even if the crow has to walk and ask for directions, it's just not that far.  Her domicile is a mobile home.  We wanted to set up a network for the computer system that could include her home.  That way, if it's late and the boys need to do some research for school, they can do it from the comfort of home.  I just thought it would be neat to increase the range. 

 We spoke to one of  The Computer Guys in the downtown area yesterday.  They recommended going from a Wireless G to a Wireless N Router.  They said it would have a stronger signal.  (This is the same advice that Ranger gave - thank you Ranger!)  So, I got the WSN2000 N Router from Netgear.  Elder Daughter got home earlier than I did so she hooked it up.  When I got home, the lights were on and the mini-tower was sitting on my desktop where the little Belkin used to dwell. 

Elder daughter said the signal was stronger.  Today, I noticed her sitting in the grass about halfway between our two places.I made out her netbook in her hands. I'm guessing that's where she got the best signal.  At least we pushed the range that much farther out, but I don't want her to have to set up a halfway house in the back yard for her netbook and peripherals. So if anybody knows of a way to boost signal even more - all suggestions received will be gratefully entertained.  Now, those suggestions that include using tinfoil will be entertaining, I suppose.  But we're only going to implement the ones that don't require the use of tape and knitting needles.  And don't even mention moving the mobile home 150 feet closer - !

6 comments:

Zeta said...

I'll contact Steve tomorrow later in the day and inquire for any suggestions.

RANGER said...

Since moving the mobile home is not on the table, how about - never mind. Moving the house was a smart-ass idea.

Zeta said...

Mark suggested a Cat-5 cable between the house and mobile home. I'll still ask Steve if he has an idea that is wireless.

RANGER said...

If you elevate the router, will that extend the range? On top of a refrigerator or high shelf?

Zeta said...

The answer is, purchase a wireless repeater for Sarah's home. The repeater reads the signal, and then it rebroadcasts the signal to a wider area. Some people call the repeater an expander. It looks like router. The price ranges between $40 to $80. If you choose the same brand as your router, it will be easier to set up.
If Sarah is just using one computer the best option is would be to purchase Newtgear WNA 1100 wireless N 150 USB adapter. The cost is between $40 to $50. This will extend the signal between the WIFI and the laptop.

Zeta said...

Ops, sorry about the is and would. I was typing as Steve was speaking to me. He told me, "That is the Court Report in you since you repeated everything I just said word for word".