Thursday, December 16, 2010

How'd we get so dependent on the technology stuff!

This morning, I put my cellphone in the top  of  my purse but inadvertently dropped my sunglasses on the rug.  I  leaned down to retrieve them.  This time of the morning,the sun is in my face driving to work.  I need those clip-on shades to see down the road.  They are quite necessary in my getting to work scheme-of-things.  Satisfied that I had all my equipment, I set off on my way to work.  I passed familiar landmarks and came to the bend in the county road where there is a chicken farm.  I put my hand in my purse and rummaged for my cell phone.  Rummaged.  Ru-u-ummaged.  Couldn't find  it.  I pulled over into a driveway and really tore the purse apart.  The phone wasn't there.  I turned around and double timed back to the road we live on, sped down to the house and stopped in the drive.  I had to unlock the door to get in and met T coming from the living room.  He offered to help me look for the phone, a Blackberry Curve in a shade of maroon that matches my netbook.  I'm really fond of that phone.

Long story short, we couldn't find the phone.  T said he'd continue to look, although he wasn't really sure what  it looked like.  I headed off to work and made it just on  time.  I felt somehow bereft.  Like an arm was tied behind my back.  Like I couldn't do my work without that phone  linking me to home and family. And the Internet and Facebook, which we can't access from our work server.  I slogged through and finally called the house about 11:00AM.  T.said he wasn't sure but he thought he had located my phone.  He described  the object in his hand.  Kind of reddish, with silver and black buttons and numbers and a-b-c...and the word Blackberry on the top.  Oh, yes!  That's it.  I asked where he had found the phone.  He said it was on the rug, just under the table.  We both had looked there earlier in  the morning and I hadn't seen the blasted thing.  Apparently - in addition to  all  the other features the phone has, there is an invisibility button somewhere and I must have switched it on before the phone jumped out of my purse.   It may be a smart phone, but it isn't all that bright. 


This is a simulation of the view it had to endure all morning before it made itself visible to  T and was returned to the tabletop to wait for me to come home after work.

1 comment:

RANGER said...

Oh, poor (giggle) thing. The phone, I mean. No wonder it revealed itself. Better watch out for that invisibility button. I wish I had one of those, myself.