Sunday, January 16, 2011

Changes. Everything changes. Eventually.

We are ramping up a new CAD system at work.  Some parts of the agency have been online for a  while, putting information into the system.  Others of us have been waiting.  And waiting.  And... well just waiting. 

We have been able to get information about what's going on in the  closed-off parts even though we don't have direct access.  The agency website delivers public information and we can  tap into  those files and get pictures and descriptions of - uh, "clients".  I'm trying to be a little genteel, here and not call them anything that might identify where I actually work.  I just feel it's not something that needs to be shared around.  My immediate family knows and I just don't think I can say right out loud - Hey, I work for ... who I work for.  The leader holds an elected office and a lot of our files don't become public record right away.  The less said, the mo' better!  Anyway - when I ever retire, I plan to blog about the place and write a tell-all book and do all kinds of things that will  let whoever reads these musings figure out my career choice. 

Just last Friday, I went into the part of my computer that shows daily activity and Calls For Service that come in on a 24/7 basis.  I was looking in the late afternoon and to my great surprise there had only been one CFS.  My first thought was that something was very wrong.  We have calls being logged in nearly by the minute.  My second thought was that the system was down.  My third thought was that the call center had been switched  to the new CAD system without providing an alternate way for us to access the information coming in.  My third guess was correct.  The supervisor and 2 girls next door knew about the switch and were supposed to be getting a way to give access to those of us who need it.  Sometime.  Or, other.

By the time I got all that information, it was getting on toward 5:00PM which is going-home time in my part of the world.  So, that's what I did.  This is a three day weekend and I don't have to  worry my brain about the access, or lack thereof until Tuesday.  I'm sure someone will have figured out something for Tuesday.  Or not.  We do start training in 2 weeks for the new system.  Maybe by then, we will have figured out some of it by looking around on our own. 

Or, alternately - I can take a 2 week vacation.  I have 300 plus hours annual leave.  If I were an ostrich my head would be shoulder deep into the sand by now.  But I might look around under all that sand and be able to see the IT Tech looking back.  It has to be stressful for him, don't you agree?

Note to self, buy antacid tablets... wonder what brand the IT Tech uses.

3 comments:

RANGER said...

Oh, this is so funny. Especially for someone with a (former) POV similar to yours. CAD caused some personnel to actually put in for retirement, in my neck of the woods.

The IT person looking back at you beneath the sand is hilarious. Was his face red? I'll bet . . .

ol Doc said...

The IT Tech with the red face handed in his resignation the beginning of December. For REAL!

The one who is left is mainly working on getting the CAD system running. He put out a memo to the bosses that he could be reached by emailing him via the helpdesk at the agency - which I have done twice. I guess my requests are still "aging".

This tech was first introduced to us as someone well versed in Time Management. His first question to us was - how often did we back up our files and did we know that even a thumb drive goes bad given enough time. Way to make us feel secure in our data. Now we have 2 servers and nobody uses them for backup except the High Sh'ruff and his admin. assistant. He said his office is going paperless. I said I would, too - if I could get a tablet computer, just so's I could have SOMEthing to hold in my hand. He laughed and said, "Uh,no!"

Anonymous said...

dyfinvhj [url=http://sbac.org/ralphlaureneaby.aspx]polo ralph lauren[/url] nlvdwsoi ugxqmk vvnpon [url=http://www.monclerjackennoutlets.info/]moncler online shop[/url] qvfmgl [url=http://www.glouisvuittontaschenoutlet.info/]louis vuitton outlet[/url] fhxauq [url=http://www.deralphlaurensaleoutlet.info/]ralph lauren outlet[/url] pdetufux [url=http://sbac.org/de/monclereaby.aspx]moncler jacken[/url] xvkuvw [url=http://sbac.org/ralphlaureneaby.aspx]ralph lauren outlet[/url] kwzjle neimoki pmnygcgmu