Sunday, January 23, 2011

On the couch.....

I woke up Monday - which was a holiday and felt a little sore throat and some sinus pressure.  I rested a lot of the day.  Tuesday, I realized I couldn't go to work with symptoms that were making me feel so bad and then I started running a temperature.  The highest degree I reached was 101.5 on Wednesday night.  I called out of work for all days of the week, aiming for Friday when I had an appointment with my doctor.  I was supposed to have gone to the lab for a blood draw but just felt too bad to try that.  I made the doctor's office and waited to be called and shown to a room.  They have a television (wall mounted) in the waiting room but I didn't even feel like watching the news.  Finally the doctor was able to process me into the examining room and after a wait of a few minutes - He came in.  Asked  how I was doing and boy did I unload on him!  Feeling awful, terrible - can't stop coughing and fever and misery and moans and whines.  He questioned me on symptoms and listen to my chest.  He then told me I had Bronchitis and he gave me an antibiotic to take twice a day for ten days.  Cough pills to bring up the congestion.  Said to also take Mucinex to help.  I left his office with an appointment in 2 weeks (when I had better attend to the lab work)  and a handful of prescriptions. 

Four pills later, I developed another problem, related to the antibiotics.  I started taking Yoplait.  And continued to cough.  Which is a scary prospect when you have problems that need yogurt for relief of symptoms.  Time wears on.  Still coughing but the fever is gone.  So I'm making progress of a sort.  And I kind of favor the strawberry flavor yogurt. 

I will  probably call out Monday from work which will make an even five days of sick leave.  But you know, I refuse to walk those hallways where I may get the urge to cough, have to bend at the waist and then make a sound like a bugler sounding charge. 

Sometimes I wish we could telecommute.  I'll have so much work backed up that my job security will be assured for at least the next full week. 

I'm going to go take some yogurt and lie down for a short nap.

1 comment:

Zeta said...

Dear Aunt Doc01. We hope you feel better soon!