Sunday, May 1, 2011

One, two, three - - blast off?

No, I'm not talking about the delayed launch of the space shuttle.  Although it has been put back until the end of the week due to a switch  box in the engine compartment.  It needs replacing - so the launch is not happening tomorrow (Monday) and I am glad to see that NASA is still concentrating on safety in the fleet.  It's down to two, now. 

My Blast Off refers to the other night when I was supposed to be sleeping soundly.  My sleep was broken by my two eyes popping open at about 3AM.  Now,  I don't brag about having an alarm clock in my head that wakens me for a preset event.  Apparently, I do have one.  Who knew! 

Tommy's mother used to be able to pull off that handy little trick.  She would think about what time she wanted to wake up and then she would just be awake at that time.  No alarm clock needed.

My own sister has the talent. 

But I have never thought I had such a useful ability.  I had been thinking about the Royal Wedding for most of the afternoon on Thursday and when I got home, I checked the TV Cable menu and found the schedule had coverage starting at 4:00 A. M. Friday morning.  So, I set the tuner to switch to Fox Channel for that time. 

I had meant to set my alarm for then, as well but I somehow fell asleep on the couch in the living room before I could manage to wend my way to the bedroom.  The TV will not come on when I schedule an event.  The tuner will switch to the show I want to watch but nothing else will happen.  I slept peacefully away.  After midnight, I was still  on the couch.  One in the morning - still sleeping...two o'clock, still sleeping. 

Three in the morning, my eyes popped open.  Wha - what am I doing in here;  And why am I awake?  And if it is early in the morning, what will I find if I turn on the telly?  Ah-hah!  The pre-wedding stuff was already on Fox.  Soooo..... we just sat on the couch and watched the wedding unfold until after the vows were said.  That would be the Royal We.  T. was still asleep in the bedroom.

I wasn't alone, however.  The paper today said that twenty-three million people watched the wedding  all over the world.  (I guess that doesn't include the crowds lining the sidewalks in London.) 

I wonder how many of us felt like we had sand in our eyes at some point later in the day?

3 comments:

RANGER said...

I call it setting my mental alarm. Glad to know I am not alone in my freakishness. Wasn't that dress stug? Weren't they sweet to one another? My invitation was lost in the mail. I made do with Today Show coverage.

BTW, William, one of the black horses in the Guards, seemed to behave himself. He was pretty frisky during an interview that I caught. Well, his rider was interviewed . . .

RANGER said...

stug is really supposed to be stunning. Don't know where stug came from . . .

ol Doc said...

If one reads Nora Roberts writing as J D Robb (and I do....) that dress was Mag! Or even Magalicious! The uniform Prince William was wearing was pretty Frosty, too! I googled Princess Grace of Monaco's dress and there is a resemblance. Grace's train was maybe longer.

Prince Albert of Monaco attended the wedding, along with his fiance. Hmmmm.