Saturday, May 21, 2011

The Walkie Talkie from Heck.

T. and I were talking while he was trying to decide if he should take the tractor down the fire trail.  He hasn't driven the Ford-built machine in a while and has been saying he wanted to drive it to the back of the property across the road and just see how things look over there.  I figured he couldn't get too far off the track since there is a fence across the back property line and the fire trails mark the boundaries on each of the long sides. 

The only thing he was concerned about was the heat of the day and how he would communicate if he broke down.  He asked me if I had a cell phone he could take with him.  I quickly thought of putting minutes on one of the two phones we have stashed away - one was an old one of mine.  Red.   I had put time on it and given it to T. while he was still driving.  He couldn't figure how to turn it on.  Or off.  And, finally he couldn't recall where he  saw it last.  We looked in the car and in  the bedroom but the phone was lost. 

I bought another phone,  Silver.  He couldn't recall how to turn it on.  Or off.  And then he lost that phone.  When I finally ran across both phones stored in our bedroom under a pillow on the dresser - I just left them there.

It's not like I really needed another lesson.  When he asked for my cell phone I just said, "NO!"

He threw a little attitude over it - but then I recalled the walkie talkies.  I had bought them a couple of years ago for him for Christmas and things were getting apparent that electronics weren't his strongest skill. Going through the phone fiasco  had caused me to rethink the whole gift thing and put the walkie talkies into storage in the hall closet. 

I mentioned we could try using the set to see if he could contact me if the tractor stopped running.  He liked that idea and went rummaging in the hall closet until he found both units.  They were still in their plastic cases- never opened.  We cut the cases and dug out the batteries, read the instruction books and put the AAA batteries into the compartments.  We tried the On switches and my walkie talkie chirped and came on.  T's just sat there.  We checked the  battery installation and reversed the positive poles on one side.  We closed that case and T. asked how to turn it on again. 

Once he found the power switch and held it down, his walkie talkie came on.  It didn't make a chirping noise but it did start getting warm.    Okay, now we're getting somewhere.  We checked the battery positions again and they were installed correctly but the unit was still warm.  I had mine in my hand and was able to change channels and then raise and lower the volume levels.  T. was still trying to get his to do something. 

I  looked at it and he had turned it off again.  It was sort of warm in my hand.  I turned his walkie talkie on again then set the channel to match mine and told him to just push the center button to talk to me.  I told him to push where it said TALK.  He did so and his voice came through the little speaker on the walkie talkie in my hand.  Hurrah!

He tried it again.  Nothing happened.  He pushed and pushed.  Nothing! 

I put out my hand and T. put the walkie talkie into my palm.  The switch was back on off. 

Long story short, we aren't going to be using the walkie talkie set.  It's probably flawed.  Or broken from the two years it spent in the closet.  Later on I may see if Radio Shack has any of the T4300 models and just buy one of them.  Then I can give them to someone who would like a walkie talkie set with a two mile range and 15 channels.  They will come with instruction books and neither of them will get really really warm when you turn it on.

3 comments:

RANGER said...

Did he go down the fire trail? It was 95° up here, today, and we're not that far from you . . . a little warm for walking back from a tractor breakdown. I wouldn't know how hot it got if my car hadn't told me. Could have done very well without that info, too. Whew

ol Doc said...

No,, the fire trail took second place to getting communication established. Today, being Sunday, going over with the tractor isn't an option. At least the tractor will be relieved to stay inside in the shade.

Zeta said...

Wow, I've never seen your area with traffic before. Tax dollars at work. Thats the subject line they use in my area for road work. The little orange sign with a man on it, lol. Each driver should recive a gas rebate conidering the price of gas. Your cell phones have multiplied. Lost and found. Found, pricelss.