Saturday, June 25, 2011

Fallen Heroes


Pensacola Journal Editorial Page, June 23, 2011
  It has been a solemn week, since the news headlined that two men, fighting wildfire in Hamilton County lost their lives.  They went to school in the area and I have discovered just how small our community is.  Two people I have never met died and their deaths touched lives around me.  The two firefighters were part and parcel of the life of our town.  Someone Elder Daughter knows went to school with Josh Burch and attended his funeral today.  She also learned that her mother attended school with Brett Fulton.  His funeral will be held on Saturday. 

Elder Daughter called me about 5:00PM today, asking if I could watch the grandsons while she and her husband took this  friend out to dinner.  When I learned that she had just come from attending the funeral today - and was in need of some quiet fellowship,  I said of course I would watch the boys.  Elder daughter described some of the funeral to me from her friend's remembrances - there was a flag folded and presented to a mother with smaller flags given to the surviving sons.  There was a fly-over of the Ranger helicopters at the cemetery.  The dispatcher called the Final Roll Call - asking for the firefighter to respond to the radio.  After the last request to respond, the dispatcher announced that the fallen hero had not answered the call and was Out of Service for the last time.  Oh, my!   Elder daughter and I had tears in our eyes and quavering voices at the end of the conversation.  

This loss is felt deeply in a such a small community.  Keep the families and friends of the two men in your prayers.  They stood between the community and the danger of wildfire and lost their lives doing something they loved.  When I think that the one man got out of the area, realized that his friend wasn't there and went back in - the words come to mind, "no greater love..."

 

1 comment:

RANGER said...

I thought I had posted. This was so moving. There are fires still burning and we get morning smoke which lessens as the day goes by. Looks foggy some mornings.