Saturday, June 18, 2011

It was a Red Touch Yellow Snake!!!!

The date was June 16th, 2011.  The Lieutenant had just walked past my cubicle on the rug between my opening and the one just across the way.  He passed beyond the cubicle opening and was heading towards his office door when he turned back to say something to me.  Instead, I heard him say, "Is that a snake?  Who put that there?  Is it a rubber snake?" 

I turned in my chair and looked back to see this colorful snake stretched out along the rug, just beside the wall of the cubicle across from me.  Maybe ten feet away.  About the time I turned and Lt. was taking a step towards the thing on the rug, it moved!  I picked my feet up and Lt. took a step backwards.

Things got a little frantic.  The office became a hive of activity with two of the guys headed for higher ground and two more heading towards the little visitor on the rug.  One of the guys plopped a trash bin upside down atop the slithering serpent as it tried to round the corner and take shelter under our briefing table. 

Oh, no!  The snake managed to escape the Rubbermaid receptacle.  Using the edge of the can to sweep the colorful thing backwards from the table, he managed to push it towards the cubicle wall near the opening.  Oh, that's good, but it wouldn't be trapped.  Another of the guys rushed up and together they stomped the snake against the rug and the cubicle wall.  Finally they managed to get their shoes on the body of the snake pinning it down and the one man leaned down, whipping out his knife and opening the blade up.  Slice.  He cut  the head off.

The body was tipped into a bag and the guys thought the head was there as well.  It wasn't. 

After a search in all areas the guys had moved around with this snake-in-a-bag, the head was located on the floor in the very area where it had been cut from the body.  The guy who decapitated the snake kept saying that this variety didn't have fangs and couldn't strike at anyone.  He said it needed to get hold of soft tissue and chew on it, in order to kill prey.  That wasn't much comfort to know.    I think I blurted out that I didn't really need the snake's resume - just please, please PLEASE find that head!
Thank goodness, I work with brave men and women.  The guys surely know how to take care of snakes and the lady with her camera was able to document the actions of some of the non-snake handling men.



Coral Snake - held by the snake killer and hero of the morning
 


 

2 comments:

RANGER said...

Great presence of mind to whip out the camera. J likes quoting "Red on black, friend of Jack; Red on yellow, kill a fellow. I would guess he taught it to the Scouts, back in the day.

The person who thought they didn't have fangs is contradicted by the internet. They are elapids (not vipers) but do have short, fixed, fangs according to http://venomoussnakesfl.com/coral.htm

Sarah said...

I too have heard that saying from mom. Certainly here red and yellow would kill a fellow with this one!