Sunday, December 27, 2009

Just wanted a hamburger....

Okay, so T. and I went to church this morning and heard a worthy sermon from our pastor. After church we shook hands and gave hugs outside the building then got in our car and started back to the house. I thought about all that turkey sitting in the 'fridge and asked T. if he'd rather skip a sandwich at home and go to town for a BK special. He agreed and we pointed the car northerly. Once we crossed the I-75 overpass, we took a shortcut through some apartments that line both sides of the road and then hung a left at the first road to the left. It was kind of like following instructions to Neverland. First star to the right and straight on til - you see the blue flashing lights.

The State Troopers had set up a checkpoint. Too bad we didn't flee the area!
The transaction went kind of like:
Trooper at the driver side window: Your license, sir. Thank you.
Who owns the vehicle?
Your license ma'am. Thank you.
Let me see your proof of insurance.
(Me in the glovebox: rummage, rummage, RUMMAGE)
Trooper: Are you aware your decal is out of date?
No, ma'am... you do not have until the end of the birth month. It's due by your birthdate.
Did you find your insurance card, ma'am?
(Me in glovebox: RUMMAGE, RUMMAAAGE "Will this one do? It's only 2008.")
Trooper: No, ma'am, don't you have your current insurance card?
(Me: "I have one, I just don't seem to be able to locate it. It may be in my wallet in another purse.")
Trooper: Pull ahead on the grass, sir and wait right there.
(Me: "Oh, that can't be good!")
We pull ahead. We wait. I rummage the glovebox some more.

Trooper returns to the car after a delay of several minutes. This time he comes to my side of the car. T. notices this and rolls down the passenger window for me. Trooper explains that he has to give me a ticket for the out of date decal and says that he could also have cited me for not having my current insurance information on hand, since the car is in my name.

He hands me a standard size sheet of paper with the ticket imprint of both front and back sides generated from his vehicle's computer. I figure it's my tax dollars at work. He explains that because it was a non-moving violation, there will be no points on my license. I just have to pay the ticket cost of ninety-nine dollars. Okay, so it's not tax dollars but my fines at work.

He ends our little transaction by telling me I can request a court date if I want to contest the ticket and takes his leave with a two finger salute to the brim of his hat, wishing me a nice day.

Yeah. Right. At Burger King T. got a whopper. I got a grilled chicken salad. It tasted like cardboard and straw. The good news is - I have thirty days to pay!

4 comments:

RANGER said...

What ever happened to professional courtesy? I am so sorry this happened to you.

Thank you for the heads-up. I'm going to check our cars for a current insurance card copy and current registration copy. We usually copy new cards and veh. reg. and put copies in the glove boxes. Original cards go in our wallets and veh. reg. goes in a file folder. As I said,usually . . .

Zeta said...

Oh oh, all of my current insurance cards are sitting on my desk right next to me. Most of our vehicles are in parking spaces at job sites. This evening, all of the current cards will be in the glove boxes. Thank you very much AuntDoc01. I'm so sorry this happen to you. Why the salute? Was he being sassy?

ol Doc said...

No, I don't think he was being sassy. I think they teach 'em to salute with two fingers to the brim of the hat. They also teach them to stand erect and sew darts the length of the uniform shirt so they look clean cut. It hides the wizened apple little black heart that beats within the chest.

Or, I could just be projecting my feelings on a nice member of law enforcement who just happened to ticket this white haired little ol' harmless grandma. (whine!)

Zeta said...

LOL, its okay. You do have 30-days, maybe a little less by now. A trip to Starbucks might help you forget the man in the uniform shirt with his hat, and little his hidden black heart. It's okay Aunt Doc. What goes around, comes around.