Monday, May 31, 2010

In Memory....

I don't recall WWII; the war I was born into.  I do remember the fighting in Viet Nam, Korea and Iraq.  The Bible says there shall be wars and rumors of wars in the last days.  We commemorate the fallen in all the wars, back to the Civil War, The Revolutionary and beyond.  We have family members who were soldiers in all those wars.  Yesterday as we sang the Battle Hymn of the Republic, in church - I thought about the age of that song and the fact that our great grandfather probably heard it and may even have sung it.  It is a link to the past in so many ways.  We must remember the history of the country and of our friends and family.  In Viet Nam, the first time that war became a personal thing to me was when Mom told me that a childhood friend named Danny had a brother who died in 'Nam.  Here is a link to the Viet Nam Wall Memorial in Washington, DC.  You can find Wayne Hutchinson listed here from Miami.  Say a prayer for him and for all the brave men and women who put their lives on the line for us each day. 

2 comments:

RANGER said...

I was six when WW II ended. Mommas called me in from playing to tell me it was over. I remember skipping down the sidewalk past the coral rock wall, gleeful because everyone else was so happy.

Happy Memorial Day.

Zeta said...

Wow, very well written. :)