Wednesday, August 19, 2009

All Sweet, All the Time

The place where I work has some stressful moments and sometimes when everybody gets up and heads out the door in response to an emergency situation - I have noticed quite a few stop at my desk and dip into the candy jar. I think the little burst of energy from the sugar keeps them on their toes when they need to be sharp and it's my contribution to their well-being.

That's one theory.

Another is that I just work with a whole bunch of folks who indulge a major sweet tooth.

Their dentists probably love me. I used to bring lollipops. Then it became lollies and candy bars. Now it's candy bars, lollies and most of the major brands of chocolate, plus chewing gum. I stock up on the weekends and replenish the supply in the jar when it runs low. When I leave on Friday, I make sure there's a full jar. When I return on Monday it is easy to see what kind of weekend we had by how far down the supply has dropped. I finally put a sticker on top of the jar, in hopes of slowing the outflow from a flood to a mere trickle. It may be working.

Visitors to the office have been known to ask if they can have a piece of candy, too. They and their children are mostly polite and say please and thank you. I love it when a parent uses the candy as a teaching moment with their youngsters, "What do you say....?"

Biohazard is not the right answer!





2 comments:

RANGER said...

For those people who have, oh, say, diabetes? This label is soooo accurate. They could contribute to the stash. No?

Zeta said...

Just one won't hurt. Or two. Or maybe even three. Hum......