Monday, August 31, 2009

A Great Big You're Welcome!

There is a person in the organization where I work who deals with peope who are victims. She is a recent graduate of the higher halls of learning but totally skilled and capable of handling the requirements of her chosen field. When she was hired, I hadn't realized she was going to have a baby. She's petite and really wasn't showing - plus nobody said anything so who would have guessed. Then, a couple of months ago, she went to the ER and was safely delivered of a lovely-but-tiny girl. She had only been into maternity wear a couple of weeks which was my first clue! The baby came a bit early but was born healthy.

The young lady hadn't had much time to earn sick-leave so she was kind of in dire need of some donations from her co-workers for maternity leave. I gave her some of my hours. So did others. Two weeks ago she came back to work and we held a welcome back to work-baby shower, combined. It was a fun thing and mostly she got some very cute outfits and blankets. I gave a baby book with a matching photo album and a toy that lights up and plays a lilting tune when you squeeze the tummy. It was kind of hard to tell what it was, since it was all pink. It had a bug face, so I'm thinking dragonfly.

Today, I got a thank you for the baby shower gift - a clear plastic box with Hershey Kisses nestled inside on a bed of tissue and tied with a silver ribbon. Under the clear box was a white cardboard box wrapped in a blue ribbon. Inside that box was a Ferro Rocher truffle and three fun-size candies. This was a thank you for the time I donated.

I will say I quite like the way the new mommy said thank you. It was done very low key. She didn't make a big production of things, but we managed a neck-hug. She reminds me of her own mother, with whom I worked several years back when I first came to the agency. She was always a class act and I enjoyed her friendship until she left; giving a general explanation to most but privately citing a more particular reason to those of us she was close to. Now the daughter follows in her mother's footsteps. It's going to be fun to watch for glints of the mother shining through in the actions of the daughter.

2 comments:

Ranger, even so said...

I think I met the young lady's mother at your anniversary party, no? Lovely lady, indeed.

What a thoughtful thank-you. Much better tasting than a Hallmark or an electronic card . . .

Zeta said...

Awe. Giving up you PTO is a very kind gesture. Chocolate.....good stuff. I broke down and ate a Snickers today. Yes, it was worth every bite. Kind people receive nice gifts because they have a big heart.