Sunday, August 16, 2009

A smart shopper? Woot!


There is a website called WOOT that I visit at least once a week. Maybe twice. Okay, once a day.

It has a deal-a-day and after you set up an account, you can purchase items at sometimes a great discount. I took advantage of two outdoor thermometers that currently grace the back sliding glass door and the front window under the porch overhang. They're usually in a few degrees of each other and it's nice not having to go outside and squint up at the little thermometer my husband hung outside.

Currently I'm waiting arrival of a Star Wars collectible - a framed 4-cell clip from an actual Star Wars Movie. I chose Return of the Jedi. It comes with a little graphic from the movie and if you're near a light, the film is mounted so that light shines through it and you can see the images. I thought it would just be a neat reminder of the George Lucas movies that have been around since before our oldest daughter was born.

T. took me to the drive-in when I was great with child so we could see the first in the series (now the 4th!). Since then my sister and I have seen these movies and both my daughters have, too. Keeping tradition alive, when my oldest grandson was a toddler, he stood on his mommy's lap and watched in awed silence as the saga unfolded. He could barely walk and was so enthralled with what was on the screen, he made not a peep in the darkened theater.

And just a while ago, Woot offered refurbished ACER mini-notebooks for less than $250.00... and I now own one. We're still deciding what method we'll use to upgrade the connection to the Internet. Currently we're on dial-up. Once we get online faster, we'll set up a wireless network and I can blog from the living room, the bedroom, the front porch or any other room I want with my little red ACER. Right now, the youngest grandson is using it to play Pinball. His high score is over 2 million.

The hardest part about wooting - besides keeping your cursor away from the "I Want One" button is waiting for the package delivery guy to come. You gotta pace yourself.

2 comments:

Zeta said...

We love Woot and it has a special app in my iphone. Mark wanted the weather station kit which was $50. We were at his Moms house when he told me and I thought I'll check later. Later, it was sold out. I want one was not available. Too late for me.

ol Doc said...

Pace yourself I tell ya. Sometimes you just have to blindly hit the I-Want-It button and then read the specs.