Tuesday, August 25, 2009

It's a Jungle Out There.

Do you ever find yourself counting tiles on the floor or lining things up side by side to make them exactly even? I have discovered the TV show MONK! I think it's clever and funny and sometimes just a big inside joke that the actors and viewers can enjoy together. Tony Shaloub plays a detective who lost his wife to a car bombing several years ago and has been in therapy ever since. He has Obsessive Compulsive Disorder - which leads to the counting, lining things up and making them even. It hinders him but doesn't stop his solving crimes on a weekly basis. He has an assistant who helps him in his work - since he has a germ phobia as well as being O. C. D. - he needs a hand wipe after shaking hands or getting doused with questionable materials. Assistant's job. Whenever I hear someone say the words, "Here's what happened" I think of Mr. Monk giving his summation of the events leading up to the crime and then his solve for it. He solves every crime except the most important one; finding out who killed his wife. This is the final season and I haven't seen many of the previous seven but I search the schedule and auto tune to shows when I find them on in the evening. I have both the grandsons joining me on the couch to catch the latest and they say they enjoy watching the show, too. T. will give up part of a NASCAR event to humor me and catch the show. He even lets me have the 42" screen during Monk Marathons. He does love me!

The theme song from Monk starts out "It's a Jungle Out There. Disorder and Confusion Everywhere." Written and performed by Randy Newman, it's kind of catchy but hard to sing. I hope when the show is over, it will show up as a ring tone on some website. Some days at work, I find myself humming....

No comments: